Monday, April 7, 2014

Our Kitchen Transformation, Part 3



Well, the dirty work of the backsplash installation has been completed!  They were able to do the whole thing in one day, and if you asked my husband, he would tell you that it looks like a one day job.  I'm just happy that I finally have a backsplash that I love, and I did not have to lift a finger to get it done :)  

I choose to do a glass tile backsplash, and I have to tell you, the reflection that it gives off is just phenomenal!  I do wish they had carried more colors in this size tile though (2 by4) as I'm sure I would had probably gone lighter.  The color of this tile is beige, but it has more of a green hue to it, still matches the granite, which was a concern of mine.  So, without further delay, here is our kitchen with the granite, painted cabinets, and new glass backsplash:































Before:




After:



When we first moved here, we had a big ugly fluorescent light fixture box for the light.  I was able to remove that ugly thing, with only minor patching to the ceiling.  In it's place, I installed a three light tract fixture.  It did the job nicely for a while, but I always knew that I wanted something different for this space.  I looked and looked, and finally decided to go with this light pendant from Pottery Barn.  I would had loved the bigger one, but it cost way more, and I don't think my makeshift ceiling electrical box was going to stand a chance (no, I'm not an electrician, I just you tube everything).  So this pretty thing is now living in my kitchen, and we love it! We also got a new vent hood, one that actually works and doesn't drown out every conversation.  

When we first moved here, I was able to install the under cabinet lighting, as well as the rope lighting on top, so as you can imagine, this kitchen was pretty dark and boring.  I can honestly say that I'm very happy with every single change we have made to it.  The only thing I'm still considering is painting the kitchen island (can't decide on a color) and the walls.  Then, this room will be D.O.N.E.



Sources:

Cabinet color: white dove by Benjamin Moore Advance in semigloss
Hardware:  D. Lawless


Hope everyone has a great week!

Kristel
Sharing at: My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia,
















18 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is amazing. I can see why you love the glass tile backsplash. It does have the prettiest sheen to it and I bet it really brightens things up. Your faucet is beautiful too.

    We installed rope lights above our kitchen cabinets a few months ago. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey, so glad you stopped by. I do love my backsplash, especially when we have the lights on, and it just reflects light so beautifully. I also love my rope light, I've had it for 3 1/2 years, and I still have not changed it (watch, I'm jinxing myself ;)

      Delete
  2. Love!! I seriously have an obsession with glass subway tile! Your tile was initially what I wanted but ended up going with the 2"x16" but yours looks fantastic! Isn't it amazing how different the space feels now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, I too have a slight obsession with this tile, in fact, I want it for my master bathroom too, but I won't tell that to the hubby, he might just pass out. I love the color of your backsplash, and so wish it had come in this size tile :(

      Delete
  3. That backsplash is amazing! And we are wanting a butcher block island when we do our kitchen reno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I need a butcher block, but I honestly LOVE it!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh such a fabulous kitchen and the backsplash is so pretty. Great choices. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party this afternoon at 3:00 PM. http://www.astrollthrulife.net. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I definitely will stop by!

      Delete
  5. Such a nice, bright kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mila, I agree, it's so bright in here!

      Delete
  6. Looking good!!! I can't believe the difference...so much more light and bright! I love the shine of your backsplash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabbi, I have to agree, it's much more brighter in here...and I'm loving it.

      Delete
  7. i love love the lighting. i think its my favorite. and the old cutting boards hung up! so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the light pendant too, but yes, I agree, I have a thing for cutting boards...I really want more, just don't have the room for them (bummer).

      Delete
  8. Wow what a beautiful kitchen!! Great work! My parents are looking to redo their kitchen and I will definitely be showing them this :)

    xoxo
    Lexi

    The-StreetsofGold.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your backsplash! Your kitchen is really lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete