Friday, June 1, 2012

A Desk Makeover And A Favorite Paint And Color



Hi everyone, hope your week has been going well.  Today my son is graduating from 5th grade, so I am a little emotional, I can't believe how fast time just goes by, a very bittersweet feeling indeed.

 I have been working for the past couple of weeks on our office/ craft room makeover.  This room was in complete chaos, just when I thought that it was ok, everyone would go in there, and make the biggest mess of papers, books, fabrics, toys..everything we wanted to store would just go in there, and the doors would get shut after, so that I would not get reminded of the mess that awaited me.  Seriously, it was stressing me out, because I am such a clean freak.  I first started by donating the dining table I was using as a desk, and cleaned everything out of the room, into the game room.  I then started working on my first project, the two desks.


Here is the room in all it's glory.  One desk had been painted white already, while the other awaited it's makeover.


I originally had gotten them when we first moved to Texas, and I was set on homeschooling my kids, well, that did not turned out too well, and the desks were forgotten, and used to store things above them instead.

I decided to use Annie Sloan in Bright White, for two reasons:  first, I wanted a crisp, white look to them, and second, I so did not want to prime them, too much work, I think that alone makes ASCP worth it.  I did two coats on each, but once I was done, I thought about adding an accent color on them.  I had seen Kate use this color and this type of paint on a dresser, and I fell in love with the color.  It took me about a week to buy the paint though, because I wanted to keep the cost down, and I had already purchased a very expensive ASCP.  I am just letting you guys know, Benjamin Moore has raised their prices on their paint...I literally had a big O on my face when they told me the price.  But I also wanted to paint other furniture in this color as well, so I decided to get it.


I have to admit, this paint, by far is the best paint I have seen out there for furniture.  Really, I am starting to think it can kick ASCP to the curve.  Sure, it should be primed and all, but I did not prime the parts I used it in, in fact, I had already applied wax to them, so they were kind of sticky, and it still dried to a hard, smooth finish.  LOVE IT!!!  And the color is so pretty, a true robin's egg blue, the name is Thunderbird.








New hardware from Hobby Lobby.



And here is the before:




I hope you like the desk makeover, I will be back next week to show you what else I have used my new favorite paint on...warning:  it may be every single furniture I own ;)

Have a great weekend everyone.


Kristel

Sharing at: 5 Days 5 Ways, Finding Fabulous, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Redoux, Miss Mustard Seed, The Shabby Nest, Funky Junk Interiors, Too Much Time on my Hands, Tatertots and Jello, It's Overflowing, Skip To My Lou, Between Naps on the Porch, Thrifty Decor Chic, Home Stories A to Z, Today's Creative Blog, The Winthrop Chronicles, The Farmhouse Porch, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Hope Studios, Tip Junkie, Savvy Southern Style, Gingersnap Crafts, We are that Family, Restore Interiors, From my Front Porch to Yours, Fireflies and Jellybeans, No Minimalist Here, House of Hepworths, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Family Home and Life, Days of Chalk and Chocolate, At the Picket Fence, Stuff and Nonsense,

26 comments:

  1. I love the colors. Very pretty desk with the little lock draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that color combination. It looks great. My fifth-grader is graduating next Thursday. I'm sure I will cry but it might be because I'm going to miss all the other parents. (teehee). Really though middle school is a scary idea. I'm not ready.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I know your pain. I know he is ready, but I am not, I just remember how scary the middle school crowd was, and am dreading every second of it....I guess I can still home school if it get's to be too much. Tip: take lot's of tissues, and wear water proof eye make-up ;)

      Delete
  3. i love the makeover and the colors! I'm surprised to hear your response about the ASCP, I never hear a bad word about it... but maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be?

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne, don't get me wrong, I do love ASCP, and it goes on wonderful , what I meant, was that when you compare the price, I paid $38 for it, and the fact that you have to keep re applying the wax every once in a while, and also, you are limited to their color selection, it just might not be for every one. Thank you for stopping by, have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Love the shape of the desks with the cross-over detail on the side, and I think the finished one looks great. I love that touch of pale blue, so pretty !
    Found you at Funky Junk - hope you're enjoying your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good, much brighter and goes with those nice green/blue drapes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOhhhh I love the white and soft blue together, I am working on my home office today. Or, err, am supposed to bed.d I'd rather blog today :) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing transformation on the tahle. I love how you painted the sides, too!

    Have a great weekend!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, love the color!!

    I was curious about the ASCP. Good to know that there are less expensive options out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristel, your desk looks great! I've been really wanting to try the Advance paint. Also, if you have more than one BM nearby, call and ask prices. They are individually owned so sometimes have different prices :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristel - I love your "new" desk!! Those colors are soft and beautiful!!
    And congrats to your son and his graduating the 5th grade!! I know what you mean, they grow up way too fast!! My oldest will be a junior, my middle an 8th grader and my youngest?! He's starting kindergarten! Yikes!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I love the little touch of blue on the drawer. What a difference! Thanks so much for sharing at Cowgirl Up! Hope you will join us again next week!
    Thanks,
    Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog
    www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your post at The Winthrop Chronicles. You did a great job and I love that you share what paint you use and what you like and dislike about them. The two tone colors are fun, especially having the X painted blue. Great work. Stop in and see me over at Quirky Vistas!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute desk. I found you at savvy southern style. I'd love for you to post on my link party at... http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/06/another-fab-friday-thank-you-to.html
    Great blog here... glad to have found you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole, I will definitely be stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Wow! Love this, please share it! Link it up with me on my Wow Us Wednesday, ok? Over at www.familyhomeandlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newest follower on Linky Followers. Thanks for linking up with me on Wow Us Wednesday!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful colors! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the colors, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. simple elegance, because you chose excellent colors together. Come link it up at our linky party http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/ and show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just recently redid a desk similar in lines and style. I love the way you did the pop of color on the drawer. That looks great! I want to copy that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great transformation - Love it! CJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great makeover! Love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete