Monday, June 11, 2012

The Craft Room Reveal



It seems I have been posting a lot of makeovers lately, and for the first time in a long time, I feel like my house is finally where it should be.  I told you about this room here.  I used to keep the door shut at all times when we had company, even if said company was only 7 year olds.  I did not want any one going in there and getting hurt.  And it was also embarrassing.  But I mustered up all my energy to go in there, clean it all out, and start from scratch.




There is the frame I used as a chalkboard



First thing I did was give the walls a good coat of paint, I used the same color I used in my master bathroom walls, but because there is only one small window, the color does not look as bright as it did in the bathroom (even though both rooms face the same way).  I was not too happy with how the painting turned out, I have never really been disappointed when using Benjamin Moore paints, but this was the first time.  Even after two coats, you could still see some spots of the old color, which was not even a dark color to begin with.  That, paired with the fact the paint went up in price, has left me one unhappy customer.

Here is the new color going on.

I then started to move things in, and recycle things out.  I decided to make two custom shelves, as the ready made ones in the store were the wrong size, and wrong price.  I found two pieces of particle board shelves on sale for $3 each, and had them cut at the store.  I did not want the rough edges to be seen, so I decided to use melamine edging tape, and it was super easy to do:



Just cut to size, and iron on.  Super easy, and it made a huge difference on the look of the shelves.  I then primed, and painted them.  I tried to reuse as much of what I already had as possible, I had left over fabric from the curtains I made for the living room, and it went perfect with the wall color in this room.  I did buy a bookcase from Ikea, because the ones I had there before where all broken.  I also picked up a chair while there as well.  Here is the room as it looks now:





















Artwork courtesy of the kids :)




Here is the before again:



And the after:



I was able to purchase the baskets from Target as additional storage, and pretty much everything you saw in the before picture (books, crafts, fabrics etc) is still in here.  I am still trying to work on the other side of this room (maybe a daybed?) it's a small room, so I have to make sure everything fits, without looking too cluttered again.

Hope you like my craft* room transformation.  I know I can now breathe easier knowing this room is cleaned up, and of course, I now leave the door open for all to see ;)

Have a great week!


Kristel

*Husband has officially banned it from being an office, because he says it looks too feminine in there ;)


Sources: 
Curtains:  Tonicliving.com
White Frames: Ikea
Baskets with labels: Target
Chair and cover: Ikea
Bookcase: Ikea
White Flower Pots: Ikea
PIllow Insert: Ikea
Small blue frame: Pottery Barn
Bakets inside of Bookcase: Ikea
Basket on top of Bookcase: Target
Rug: Purchased from Target a long time ago

44 comments:

  1. Oh I love your space!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun craft room!! It makes me want to come over and make something! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to come over Kristen!!! I have seen the things you can do, so be my guest ;)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Yippee!! What a fantastic space! I'm sure you just want to live in there now. I especially like all of the texture you added with the woven baskets, and thanks for the great tip on the melamine tape. Never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, I heard about the tape on HGTV, one of their makeover shows, and it really is great! I do sometimes go and sit in that room, just to take it all in I guess ;) Thanks for stopping by, hope you are having a great summer so far, especially with the OKC Thunder being in the finals.

      Delete
  4. I love this space, I can only imagine all the fabulous things that will be created there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately, not much, since the kids are taking up most of my time, but I am so glad the room is done! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Just gorgeous! Now, would you please come over and help me with mine? :-)

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, thanks for stopping by, and posting such a sweet comment!

      Delete
  6. Looks great! I so wish I had a space to craft, design, work...you are a lucky lady =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really pretty--love the wrapped books and curtains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph, glad you like them, I really do as well, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kristel! You did an absolutely fabulous job on your craft room. You are an inspiration to all of us who regularly close doors when company is coming. Thanks for sharing all your tips like ironing melamie onto the edge of shelving...genius! I saw your post over at "Cowgirl Up!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! This room was really bothering me, I really did not like being in there, and knew I had to do something about it. I am so glad it's done though ;)

      Delete
  9. What a great looking space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kriste I love your beautiful craft room. Some day my craft room will be that beautiful! I am slowly working on it, but at a very slow pace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl you've been real busy lately and the room looks wonderful! Mine? I keep the door closed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Kristel! You have done a great job transforming your room into a fun, organized space to be creative. The Expedit shelf is the perfect addition for storage and the wrapped books look so sophisticated:) I love the accent colour you chose for the two frames.

    Have fun being crafty!

    Visiting from The Winthrop Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a difference. I love your new craft room...who wouldn't want to work in there. It looks so fresh and inviting! Beautiful Job!
    Blessings!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you have a dedicated craft room! I have the larger version of the Target basket, love the chalkboard label!

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the transformation, so pretty! Well, guess since the hubs wont use it you get it all to yourself :) Thanks for linking up, I will be fearuing it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you do house calls? I need this space! It is so cool, crisp, clean, and serene. It must inspire creativity. I love the brown accents using kraft paper and burlap. Came over from Winthrop.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am green with envy. This post is so inspirational. I would love it if you could share this awesome post at our What’s It Wednesday linky party. I hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great transformation! I love the wire tiered basket that holds your supplies...I'll be on the lookout for one of those. The curtains are pretty. Nice job!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your blog - this is adorable! Needing some more cute baskets :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how bright the room is now. I love the color of blue used also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your craft room looks huge now! What a great makeover, love the colors. It is inspiring me to keep moving forward with mine too :)

    Hugs, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your craft room looks super organized and pretty (and large too!) Love all your tables for worksurfaces and the shelves look great too. But I must say my favourite part is your kids artwork. I am fortunate to have a spare room (our 4th and smallest bedroom upstairs) to use as a hobby room and love it. I have lots of photos of it on my blog, but it is time for an overhaul and update. It is getting too messy so I need to change a few things around this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kristel, so organized. So stylish! That pillow fabric really popped out at me in the best way! Love the new look. I found you at Too Much Time. Hope you'll stop in and see me at Quirky Vistas.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I always check out people's craft room reveals for inspiration and your's does not disappoint! Love the light bright colors, and so organized! So many ideas here :)

    Visiting from 5Days/5Ways

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's just beautiful! I could create some super crafty crafts in that space ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is gorgeous! I literally loved everything about it! Thanks for providing sources at the end....Much pinning is about to happen!

    Come visit me sometime! Shara @ Palmettos and Pigtails

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG, your room looks so beautiful!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  28. AaaaaaaahhhhhhH! I can hear angels singing in the background! This room is amazing. I love your color choice and curtain print AND how you unified everything with baskets and bookcovers and color. Nice space! Light, bright and organized. I am sure you are loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This turned out great! I will be featuring this at my link party tomorrow! http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful and inspiring space!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! Love the pops of blue, since that is currently my obsessing over color! Did you make your curtains? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great transformation! I wish I had a space like this! Love the baskets and the colors of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You don't even want to see my craft room right now. I'm still in the process of stripping a piece of furniture for that space and due to the rain spells lately, I put it on the inside. I'm so ready to bring these fun times to an end and do a craft room reveal.

    Your space looks fantastic and I know you'll be even more productive in there. Thanks for stopping and commenting on my blog. It made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh so beautiful! ...i love everything about it...brown paper & twine, two of my crushes right now :)
    ♥ much love

    ReplyDelete
  35. so cute! I love a good craft room makeover! That was one of my favorite rooms in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great job!! I recently did an office/craft room makeover too! http://honeysuckleblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/officecraft-room-makeover.html

    p.s. I have that same planter from ikea. love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It is a beautiful space with the brown paper books & boxes - a lovely space. I have the same IKEA planters

    Dee at the Carlton


    ReplyDelete